Home > Importers, Not CodeFluent Related :) > Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

Back a few years ago, before Microsoft Office 2010, life was a little easier for developers: Office was 32-bit, period.

As you know our days just got a little more complicated since that with Microsoft Office 2010, users can also install a 64-bit native version of Office as well.

This means to us developers that our 32-bit applications using an OLEDB Provider to connect to Excel or Access files might not work anymore since the 32-bit provider might not exist on a 64-bit Office 2010 installation.

In such cases, even though the user has a valid installation of Microsoft Office 2010 installed on his machine, your application might get an error as:

The ‘Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0′ provider is not registered on the local machine.

Well to address such problems Microsoft released a new redistributable named the “Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable”. This redistributable provides a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of the Microsoft ACE OLEDB Provider which can be downloaded here:

So if as a developer you have a 32-bit application using this OLEDB provider on a machine with a 64-bit installation of Office 2010 (such as the CodeFluent Entities Access Importer), you’ll need to install the 32-bit version of the provider.

Install Tip

Launching the install of a Microsoft ACE OLEDB Provider on a machine with an Office install other than the current one (e.g. 32 on 64) will cause the install to fail. To have it run properly you need to launch it from a command line with the “/passive” argument specified.

• To install the Microsoft ACE OLEDB Provider 32-bit on a machine running Office 2010 64-bit:

$> AccessDatabaseEngine.exe /passive

• To install the Microsoft ACE OLEDB Provider 64-bit on a machine running Office 2010 32-bit:

$> AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe /passive

Hope this helps,

Carl Anderson

1. tflex
    February 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

“/passive” helps to install ADE x32 on computer with Office x64, but then it crashes on usage (access violation). Any hints? Did anyone succeed with this “install tip”?

2. softfluent
    February 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

Hi,

We installed the component on several machines using this trick without bumping into your problem. You can also find other users using the same trick successfully (see Andreas Marschall’s comment on this post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/farukcelik/archive/2010/06/04/accessing-excel-files-on-a-x64-machine.aspx).

Carl

3. April 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for this excellent tip !

4. it_guy
    September 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Thanks, the /passive switch worked on our Server 2008 64-bit machine with Office 2007 32-bit. Complaint window gone and 3rd party app functions with OLEDB connection to Excel.

5. André
    September 7, 2011 at 8:36 am

This post made my day, Thanks

6. Jeff S
    October 26, 2011 at 1:52 am

Thanks. This saved my butt for our Computer Science Lab. Windows 7 64bit running Office 2010 32bit.

Needed to run the 64bit version to get the drivers to show up.

7. John
    October 31, 2011 at 9:04 pm

This was really helpful, until I tried to open any of the Office programs, at which point a setup window popped up and (presumably) overwrote the passively-installed 64-bit version. After this, I could not run my 64-bit application (popups telling me it couldn’t load the approriate libraries) until I re-installed the 64-bit engine (passively).

Is there any way to change this behavior? I’d hate to tell my clients that they have to re-install this every time they want to use my software.

8. Rashmi
    November 2, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Awesome tip… was looking for a workaroung to install the X64 engine without having to uninstall the 32 bit office….

9. Roman
    December 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I am having the same issue – the installation in /passive mode works, but right after I got the error on any Office program, claiming of missing libraries. After it, nothing helps – just to reinstall the Office.

Any ideas?

10. Jeff R
    January 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’ve found that, on a clean mchine, if I install AccessDatabaseEngine.exe and then install AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe /passive, my 64-bit ADO (C++) program works. But if I do the reverse, install AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe and then install AccessDatabaseEngine.exe /passive, my program now reports “Module not found”. The problem can only be fixed by uninstalling both and starting over.

11. Pat
    February 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Well, I installaed the AccessDatabaseEngine (2010 32 bit version first) then installed the 64 bit version (with /passive) but both Word and Excel keep complaining about missing files. You can click OK then Cancel, but have to do it everytime you start Excel or Word.
    MS Access 2010 (32 bit) doesn’t run at all anymore (only when the 64 bit driver is removed).

• Ronald
      March 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hi, seems you had the same problems, have you been able to fix it? I cannot find the uninstall for the x64 Engine =( guess, the passive switch doesn’t leaved any uninstall information.

12. Ronald
    March 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Well, I have a win2k8 r2 server with 32 bit office 2010 and used the /passive switch on the accessdatabaseengine_x64. Install was fine, no errors, but now my access is broken and cannot be started anymore, Word is also complaining on startup.

Any of you had these problems as well and even know how to fix it??

Thanks!

13. April 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm

this is a life saver i’ve been at this issue for hours…….i have windows 7 64 bit with office 2010 32 bit i was able to make it work when i changed the platform target to x86 from any CPU but that cropped up other issues from different dlls……i was at my wits end…….thanks a ton…….

14. Abdel
    April 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

SoftFluent,

I really want to thank, I spend so many time to find tips you gave (AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe /passive)

Abdel

15. April 27, 2012 at 10:07 am

I haven’t tried this yet, but will do soon…I want to avoid another trip to the trichologist!

Paul Harrold Microsoft Access developer

16. KrazeeBob
    June 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

If only Google were as smart as you were, I would have found this post hours ago. Thank you so much, you’re a lifesaver.

17. Radek
    June 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm

It works, thnx!!

18. Jogy
    July 12, 2012 at 5:37 am

Thanks it worked for me, but Facing strange problem with this component.
    It gets uninstalled automatically almost every time the server reboots!!
    Any help please…

19. Tina Alewine
    July 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I agree with KrazeeBob! I was searching for this solution for HOURS! Maybe a few DAYS actually! Thank you so much!

20. July 25, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thank you very much worked for me so I can say that this correction solves problems

21. EugeneCHOI
    August 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

Wow!, Thank you So much!
    A year i spend, you have the solution. I’ve run \windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe but not work. office 2007 (32bit) on win7 x64

22. September 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm

In my case I am running:

– Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
    – SQL Server 2008 R2 x64
    – MS Office 2010 x86

I had to install the x86 version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 because it detected that MS Office was x86. I am not trying to query excel; rather, a sharepoint list. I have a similar setup on another box without office and it works great. On this box and one other I constantly get the following error and both have Office x86 on them:

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The OLE DB provider “Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0″ for linked server “(null)” reported an error. Access denied.

I have also tried to install the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components which was mentioned in another post but that did not resolve my problem. I have verified that Ad-Hoc Queries is enabled and have ran the following with no luck:

USE [master]
    GO
    EXEC master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N’Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0′ , N’AllowInProcess’ , 1
    GO
    EXEC master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N’Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0′ , N’DynamicParameters’ , 1
    GO

I have compared the registry settings between the known working system and these and they seem identical in terms of the provider info; however, I am unable to see the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider listed within the Linked Server providers so this gives me a feeling that Office specifically Access and the Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 are conflicting here. I am not positive on this but I just have a feeling that this is causing my pain.

23. Wole
    October 20, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Yes, this really does help! Many thanks

24. Ričardas
    February 6, 2013 at 7:16 am

Super! It works like a charm!

25. Suresh
    March 16, 2013 at 12:21 am

Fantastic, you saved my day.

26. farrukh
    March 27, 2013 at 8:35 am

excellent it works for me

27. Dan
    May 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Thanks this solution! I went so far as to uninstall office 2003, office 2010, visio 2003, et. al., and the x64 it still wouldn’t load. So many things got screwed up it was easier to restore the entire partition than try and sort it all out. On the downside, I lost this link in the process, but at least I knew there was a solution out there… Will be testing later this evening. Thanks again!

• Dan
      May 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Tested the system and all my 32 bit MS Offices apps pop up a “Configuring MS Office pro 2010″ window. The window closes after 30 secs or so, but is incredibly annoying. Any Advice?

• Dan
        May 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Found this solution posted by “Applied Maths NV” at this link:

I have pasted below the text of the portion of the link that resolved my problem:

“Here’s a workaround for installing the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable on a system with a 32-bit MS Office version installed:

Check the 64-bit registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\FilesPaths” before installing the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable.

If it does not contain the “mso.dll” registry value, then you will need to rename or delete the value after installing the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable on a system with a 32-bit version of MS Office installed.

Use the “/passive” command line parameter to install the redistributable, e.g. “C:\directory path\AccessDatabaseEngine_x64.exe” /passive Delete or rename the “mso.dll” registry value, which contains the path to the 64-bit version of MSO.DLL (and should not be used by 32-bit MS Office versions).

Now you can start a 32-bit MS Office application without the “re-configuring” issue. Note that the “mso.dll” registry value will already be present if a 64-bit version of MS Office is installed. In this case the value should not be deleted or renamed.”

Many thanks to you all and “Applied Maths NV”.

28. sivakumar
    March 20, 2014 at 7:03 am

64 bit OS. AND 32 BIT MS ACCESS. I have done all fine. but now also not working exe is not connected with ms access. the odbc is installed but when i adding user dns “Unable to load odbcji32.dll”. After adding Ms Access Database -> (*.mdb, *.accdb) -> Finish. Error “Unable to load odbcji32.dll” and registering dll is also not working. I need immediate response. Thanks in Advance

• Chrie
      December 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I had the same problem. Uninstalling AccessDatabaseEngine (english version) and installing german version (german OS) solved it.

1. June 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm